7-31-2020 COVID-19 Update
Latest COVID-19 Update from Congressman Jeff Duncan:
I hope you and your family are safe and healthy. Below is some information I thought you might find helpful –
- Over 54.6 million COVID-19 tests have been performed in the United States, which is far more than any other country in the world HERE.
- According to the COVID-19 Tracking Project, on July 24th, 929,838 COVID-19 tests were reported in the United States in a single day, a new single-day record HERE.
- HHS, DOE, and the VA recently announced a COVID-19 Insights Partnership - an initiative to coordinate and share health data as well as research and expertise to aid in the fight against COVID-19 HERE.
- The Phase 3 clinical trial for Moderna and the NIH’s vaccine candidate is underway HERE.
- There are now 15 products on the EPA’s list of products expected to kill SARS-CoV-2 HERE.
- According to South Carolina DHEC, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in SC is 87,117 HERE.
- SC DHEC continues to offer FREE mobile COVID-19 testing clinics across the state. View their list of available clinics HERE.
- As of yesterday, a total of 745,198 COVID-19 tests have been conducted in South Carolina HERE.
- Governor McMaster took additional action this week to slow the spread of COVID-19 in South Carolina HERE.
- Roughly half of our State’s population is currently under some form of mask ordinance HERE.
- The South Carolina Superintendent has approved the re-opening plans of six South Carolina School Districts HERE.
- The CDC has issued guidance on school re-openings HERE.
- Clemson University announced they will begin the Fall semester online and will delay in-person instruction until September 21, 2020 HERE.
- Attorney General Barr testified before the House Judiciary Committee and addressed the violent riots happening around the country HERE.
- House Democrats blocked my amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that would prohibit any future Administration from transferring Guantanamo Bay terrorists to the United States HERE.
This week I introduced H.R. 7817, the Modernize Nuclear Reactor Environmental Reviews Act. Nuclear energy is a critical part of our nation’s energy matrix. It is a safe and effective energy source that fuels the 24/7 baseload power supply most Americans demand, and it protects our national security. Further, nuclear power provides large amounts of carbon-free electricity, which is important as we continue to strive for clean energy.
My bill, H.R. 7817, the Modernize Nuclear Reactor Environmental Reviews Act, aims to update the environmental review process for nuclear reactors, especially advanced reactors. Specifically, the bill directs the NRC to evaluate the current environmental review process for nuclear reactors, determine more efficient and timely ways to perform the reviews while also complying with the recently modernized National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and conduct a formal rulemaking on their findings. We must continue to look for ways to enhance our domestic nuclear energy production and maintain global competitiveness. I’m confident that my bill will contribute to this effort.
Read my full statement and the bill HERE.
121 sites around the country are currently holding nuclear waste, including the Savannah River Site located in South Carolina. Yucca Mountain is a permanent nuclear waste repository in Nevada, and the federal government promised the American people it be utilized years ago through the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982. Yucca Mountain is a national solution to a national problem. This week the House considered a second appropriations package or “minibus,” and I’m extremely disappointed that funding for Yucca Mountain was not included. South Carolina ratepayers have paid billions towards the construction and operation of a permanent repository at Yucca Mountain, yet nothing has come to fruition. It’s well past time that we make Yucca a reality – it’s the law of the land! Listen to my floor speech HERE.
Safari Club International
I’m honored to receive the Federal Legislator of the Year award from the Safari Club International (SCI). This award is for preserving and promoting hunting and conservation for future generations. I will always remain dedicated to these efforts. Thank you, SCI!
Paycheck Protection Program
Small business owners – don’t forget the Small Business Administration (SBA) is accepting new applications for the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) through August 8, 2020! This program continues to help so many small businesses across America keep their doors open and pay their employees. For more information, visit the SBA’s website HERE.
For the most expedited constituent service, please do not reply directly to this email. Send me an email HERE so I can get in touch with you as fast as possible. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for daily updates. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you or your family need assistance.