6-26-2020 Re-Opening America Update
Latest Coronavirus Update from Congressman Jeff Duncan:
I hope you’re all staying safe and healthy. Below are some quick facts I thought you might find helpful.
- Over 29.2 million COVID-19 tests have been performed in the United States, more than any other country in the world.
- The CDC updated and expanded the list of people who are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 (based on available evidence they have to date) HERE.
- CMS instructed Medicare Administrative Contractors and notified Medicare Advantage plans to cover COVID-19 lab tests conducted for nursing home residents and patients.
- The FTC has sent over 250 warning letters to marketers nationwide demanding they stop making unsubstantiated claims that their products can treat or prevent COVID-19 HERE.
- South Carolina DHEC is offering FREE mobile COVID-19 testing clinics across several counties in the state. A list of clinics can be found HERE.
- Governor McMaster announced “Palmetto Priority” an initiative led by South Carolina restaurateurs to assure staff and customers they’re providing a safe and clean environment and taking necessary safety precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 HERE.
- SLED released new guidance to clarify that wearing a facemask to protect yourself from COVID-19 does not violate the SC Concealed Weapons Permit law HERE.
- Deadline for small businesses to apply for the Paycheck Protection Program is June 30th. More information HERE.
- SC Works is offering online and in-person workforce services to South Carolina jobseekers. More information HERE.
- The Trump Administration continues to take necessary action against the violent rioters threatening to vandalize or remove national monuments HERE.
- I joined my colleagues in calling on the DOJ to use every tool at their disposal to stop the violent extremists and rioters who are targeting federal property, memorials, and religious entities and restore peace and order in America HERE.
- Senate Democrats blocked Senator Tim Scott’s law enforcement reform bill, the JUSTICE Act, for political reasons HERE.
- A federal appeals court ordered the case against General Michael Flynn to be dropped HERE.
Greenville Hospitals Need Blood Plasma Donations
Greenville hospitals are running out of blood plasma donations to help treat new COVID-19 patients. Donations can be made by individuals who previously had a positive diagnostic test for COVID-19 (by nasal swab) or had a positive antibody test, and have since been symptom free for 14 days. Doctors are injecting the blood plasma into the bloodstream of new COVID-19 patients in hopes that the antibodies created in the plasma will help them recover as well.
If you think you may have had COVID-19 and recovered from it, The Blood Connection is offering free antibody tests to those interested in donating blood plasma. They have sites all across South Carolina and work to supply the blood plasma to hospital systems that are close to where the donor lives. If you’re interested in donating blood plasma to COVID-19 patients in your community, check out The Blood Connection’s website HERE.
Laurens County Airport
I’m pleased to announce the Laurens County Airport has received an Airport Improvement Program (AIP) Grant of over $1 million. These funds will be used to install a runway vertical/visual guidance system, rehabilitate their runway lighting, and rehabilitate their taxiway lighting. Great news for the district!
Pelosi Removing Portraits from Capitol
It’s been a long-standing tradition of the U.S. House of Representatives to have portraits of past Speakers displayed in the Capitol Complex following their service. However, Speaker Pelosi has recently requested that various portraits of past Speakers be removed from the Capitol and placed in storage, including the portrait of former Speaker of the House James L. Orr of South Carolina.
This is a dangerous path to go down and I don’t believe removing a portrait outside the chamber of the People’s House will benefit our country, foster more equality, or help Americans achieve greater economic prosperity. These actions only serve as a continuation of the folly that is “cancel culture,” and seeks to further divide Americans. Although the portrait of James Orr has already been removed, I’m calling upon Speaker Pelosi to return his portrait back to its original location in the Capitol Complex, or at the very least, allow me to display it in my Congressional office. Instead of focusing on erasing history, we should learn from it and place it in its proper context so that we can all join in continuing to make America the greatest country in the history of the world. Read my full statement HERE.
For the most expedited constituent service, please do not reply directly to this email. Send me an email HERE so I can get in touch with you as fast as possible. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for daily updates. Please let me know how I can assist you and your family during this time.